Monday, August 3, 2009

Sex and the Sartorialist by Globe and Mail


Reading this interview made me love him more, but a lot of people thought that he was being arrogant but I think he was just trying to be funny - He made me laugh


READ FOR YOURSELF

Sex and the Sartorialist
Amy Verner
From Saturday's Globe and Mail


By snapping fashion bigwigs one day and unknown gamines the next, your message about style is very democratic.
Yeah. I mean, take the whole thing with Holts. They said, “We're going to have interviews with all these people.” And I was like, I don't care; I want to have X amount of time with my people. I don't need another interview with any other magazine or newspaper in the world. What I need is to meet my readers and thank them. I think they really got that sincerity. I will do whatever it takes because my audience gives me so much love and so much energy to take these photos.


People describe you as a fashion legend.
Yeah. I'm gonna keep doing it. I love it and I'm going to wear that responsibility. I work my ass off. I was up last night and I shot all day for these commercial projects. The money I make from Burberry, Adidas and Style.com will make it possible for me to go to fashion weeks in Milan, Paris, London, New York, Stockholm, Australia – but also to places like Peru, Laos, Tibet. I want to mix in national indigenous style. I want to be able to look back at my pictures and say this was a snapshot, not a report, of my vision when I visited.

Who are your photographic influences?
[Photojournalist] Steve McCurry is as much an influence to me as [fashion photographer] Bruce Weber.

What did you want to be as a kid?
A football player or a baseball player.

Not any more?
Well, I mean, look at me.

You look fit – just not big like a quarterback.
I'm pretty good at the sex. And pretty good at picture taking. That's about it. Garance is pretty happy. And the hotel-room neighbours are pretty pissed. You can write that; that's totally fine with me.

You want people to know you're good in bed?
Yeah. Yeah.

Okaaay. Do you shine your own shoes?
Uh, you know, I would, but there's actually a place close to me – Cesar's Shoe Repair – and the guy has stepped up his game since I mentioned him on my site. If he was a five before, he's now a seven or eight.

What camera do you use?
I use a Canon EOS 5D Mark II. It shoots high-definition video even though I haven't figured out how to do that. But I'm still really good in bed.

Does the site make money?
Yes, through advertising. I don't make a lot of money from it, but I do make enough to buy very good suits.


What's your weakness when it comes to shooting people?
I have a weakness for surprises. I want to see something I haven't seen. I'm totally ambiguous sexually when it comes to my work. I shoot what I'm attracted to.


Do people recognize you now?
Even though it's my site, I don't show up on it that much. But yeah, people recognize me. All the time.

There's one shot of you in your book.
Yeah. I think from when I was really skinny.

You're still really skinny.

Tell me more about how skinny I am. Do you think I look better with short hair or long? You can tell me about my butt. What do you think? It's nice, right?

If you weren't doing this, what would you be doing?
Every rapper says if I was not doing this, I would be in jail. And basically, I'm a rapper, only I'm a photographer. So if I wasn't doing this, I would definitely be in jail.

Actually, I think you're quite mischievous.
I think I am. And I'm totally cool with that.


To Read the Rest - www.theglobeandmail.com/life/style/sex-and-the-sartorialist

Henrietta

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

The Amount of ♥ We Get

MySpace Web Counters

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP